Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Beginning

So here I am, on my 23rd birthday, starting a blog about being a twenty-something. How cliche. But, I wanted to start this blog to chronicle the end of one journey and the beginning of another. So, I guess it's time I shared the big news (after all, birthdays are always the best time for that)...

I am moving to NEW YORK CITY in May. I've been dying to let this secret out since January, but figured I'd just have to contain myself a little bit longer until the timing was right.

Let's rewind to how this all happened.

Currently I work as a Traveling Leadership Consultant for my sorority Zeta Tau Alpha and it is without a doubt the best job I ever could have asked for immediately post-grad. I have had the opportunity to travel the country and visit various chapters over the past nine months. I've learned so much about myself on this incredible journey (that is still happening) and I value this position so much. But it's funny, for some reason they just won't let you pretend like you're still in college forever (imagine that). So I had to pick what my next journey would be, and this is where New York comes in.

One of the greatest gifts my parents gave to me was my work ethic. Throughout my entire life they have always instilled in me the mentality that if you want something then you'll need to set it as a goal, work towards it, and achieve it. I have always wanted to move to New York, so that's just what I did. I set the goal for myself that during my winter break from my current job (Yep, you heard me correctly. Winter. Break. I really do have the coolest job ever) I would land a job in the city for May when my travels would be over. And when you set a goal, you achieve it. So there was that.

Many of my closest friends who I shared the news with early on have asked me "How did you find the right job?" Well, here it is. During the application and interview process it felt a lot like sorority recruitment all over again (I couldn't resist, y'all. The Recruitment Chair in me will never go away). I wanted the perfect resume, perfect suit, and perfect answers to all those tough interview questions. But when I walked into the Gotham Technology Group office none of that seemed to matter. What mattered was the connection I had with my future employer. I felt comfortable, at ease, and most importantly, myself. The fact that I didn't look like I had "rolled out of the laundry bag" as my mother would so eloquently put it, had a resume, and knew how to hold a conversation undoubtedly helped, but being able to simply be 'me' was the greatest asset I had.

So my advice to all you other twenty-somethings on the job hunt is to JUST BE YOURSELF. If you walk into the interview room and you're practically sweating through your suit you're so nervous (believe me, I've been there sista friend, and it ain't a good look), fumbling for all the answers you think they want to hear, it's probably not the right place for you. Find a job where you're comfortable and the rest will fall into place.

The second question I have been asked is "Are you scared?" and I'll answer that one very simply. Yes. But if your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough. 

3 comments:

  1. New follower from Alyssa's blog :) Congrats on the new job and new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL! I am so excited for you to start this new journey :-) You are going to be amazing and the big city doesn't know what is coming for it. Welcome to the blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I stumbled across your blog from Alyssa's! Happy Birthday and congrats on the new adventure! Can't wait to follow along!

    www.allisontroyano.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS